My stones. Part IV

09:50:00

Red jasper
Jasper -- it is so varied and different that at times it is even difficult to recognise it.
So many beautiful varieties of this particular mineral have caught my eye. I will show you some of what I have and tell you more about the mineral itself.






Red jasper
Jasper, a form of chalcedony, is an opaque, impure variety of silica, usually redyellowbrown or green in colour. The name jasper means -- spotted or speckled stone.


Together with Heliotrope it is one of the traditional birthstones of March.




Classification and naming of Jasper is a bit of a pain as it has so many varieties and some of them are difficult to tell apart or even classify due to how many of them there are.




Jasper was a favorite gem in ancient times and is referenced in Greek, Hebrew, Assyrian and Latin literature.



Landscape jasper
Found worldwide, a wide variety of named jaspers is found in the western areas of the Unites States; California, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and Washington.


Picture jasper is a petrified or silicated mud that dripped into gas pockets in molten lava. It became superheated and then solidified forming the unusual banded patterns which are typical of this stone.






All the pictures are of the stones and jewellery I own and taken by me.
If you fancy a piece of soutache jewellery with any of the stones on my website -- send me a message or convo me on etsy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments